Wednesday, March 18, 2015

Another Influence - Ed "Big Daddy" Roth

I loved Rat Fink as a kid. I had a Rat Fink model I put together as a kid. Then one day I decided to put a firecracker in his mouth. I regret that but I was a standard ignoramus teen.



I also had a DIY model that was either designed by or influenced by Ed Roth. It may have been done by his pal B. K. Taylor who designed the "Odd Rods" stickers in the '60s. I may have either tossed that one after it broke or blew it up as well. Somewhere, buried deep in the recesses of my home I have my Odd Rods stickers though. Lost but not forgotten.

Ed Roth led the Kustom Kulture style of art with his surf style art and pinstriping. Fantastic garish colors and bold ink work. B. K. Taylor did a lot of work forMad Magazine, National Lampoon and even The Muppets designing Dr. Teeth and the Electric Mayhem.

I never realized until recently how much their art influenced me and how I occasionally see hints of their techniques in my work. I can't explain it or dissect it but it's there.

This is my homage with McDivot and Burnie.


No comments:

Post a Comment